Welcome

Welcome to my blog. Enjoy musing with me.

Friday, October 22, 2010

The Good Shepherd

Psalm 23
        The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way (Is 53:6).  We lack provision, protection and eternal hope.  But God, not wishing that any should perish (2 Peter 3:8), sent his only Son and laid on him the iniquity of us all (Is 53:6).  The Good Shepherd laid down his life for the sheep (John 10:11).  Those whom the Good Shepherd calls hear his voice and follow him (John 10:3-4) and find provision, protection, and eternal hope in the merciful, loving, and kind arms of their Savior. The Lord (Yahweh) is the Good Shepherd.  He is no nameless, faceless, impersonal deity, but one who knows his sheep personally and his sheep know him personally (John 10:14).  As sheep of the flock of God we enjoy many benefits. 

The Good Shepherd provides for the needs of his sheep.  The sheep of the flock of the Good Shepherd “shall not want.”  They feed from the greenest pastures and drink from the purest waters.  They are not drawn to other pastures or streams nor do they worry about where they will find their next meal.  They find rest from worrying about any physical or spiritual needs.  Their faith is in the Good Shepherd who has always provided for them out of his goodness and mercy.  We must trust Jesus, who has promised to provide for all of your needs according to his riches and glory (Phil 4:19) and who will not withhold any good thing from those who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11). 

           The Good Shepherd protects his sheep.  On the way to green pastures, the Good Shepherd may have to lead his sheep through dark valleys but he is still leading and his rod and staff are there for protection.  Although the sheep may experience fear in face of imminent danger, they must stay close to the shepherd.  The Good Shepherd is able to sympathize with our weaknesses as one who was acquainted with sorrows and grief.  We must draw near to him that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.  Though we may walk through valleys of darkness in this present evil age, neither tribulation, nor distress, nor persecution, nor famine, nor nakedness, nor danger, nor the sword, nor death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor heights, nor depths, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the loving kindness of the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ our Lord (Rom 8:31-39).

He promises an eternal dwelling place for his sheep.  David, the author of this Psalm, concludes by affirming God’s goodness and mercy as the source of future blessing.  David is confident that the extraordinarily lavish banquet of blessing that he has experienced will continue throughout his life and into eternity.  In Psalm 27 David says, “one thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.”  David’s desire was first and foremost for the Lord.  The joy in his heart overflowed in doxology.  He yearned for the day when his faith would be sight.  In Christ alone, our hope is found.

            All those who have responded in faith to the call of the Good Shepherd enjoy his provision, protection, and eternal hope.  Our Shepherd in his very nature is gracious, merciful, and good.  He provides for all of our physical and spiritual needs according to his riches and glory.  He is the all-powerful God of heaven and earth who leads us and protects us as we pilgrim through this fallen world.  He provides eternal hope through the perfect life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  We must always keep our eyes on the Shepherd, our ears open to hear his voice, and our feet ready to follow him.

1 comment:

  1. I love the " he restoreth my soul" part. We can get so bogged down in daily cares and forget to let Him restore our souls. He is more than strong enough to carry all our cares. A book I have especially enjoyed on Psalm 23 is, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23.

    ReplyDelete